Unlike last year, I’m not waiting until June to put together my list of my favorite songs from the previous year. My favorite songs of 2013, in order, are:
1. Fresh Strawberries by Franz Ferdinand. FF has been the best band of the past 10 years. Their 2013 Album Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action was nothing short of amazing.
2. Gravediggress by CocoRosie. I don’t know how I have missed this group before, but CocoRosie is wonderfully weird. This song is addictive despite the horrible fact that there is a clown in this video.
3. I Got You by Jack Johnson. I couldn’t help being all romantic in 2013, with getting married to the most amazing woman and all, so yeah I had this song playing a lot this year.
4. A New Life by Jim James. And when I didn’t play Jack Johnson, I was playing Jim James’s A New Life. To be fair, we caught Jim James at the Newport Folk Festival. Now I get why people are so excited about My Morning Jacket.
5. Les jolies Françaises by Jason Bajada. Jason’s Le Résulta de mes bêtises was one of those albums that I couldn’t stop listening to, and still haven’t.
6. Changeling by Alison Moyet. Call me a child of the 80s, but Alison is back. Her voice is just as great as it was back with Yazoo.
7. All That’s Mine by Depeche Mode. Speaking of the 80s, Depeche Mode is still strong and possibly better. I seem to be biased since they are my favorite band. I was once embarrassed to say it, but there is no denying that I listen to them more than anyone else, my LastFM scrobbles don’t lie, http://www.last.fm/user/BernardLeCroix.
8. We Are Not Cool by Stripmall Architecture. I’m crazy about this band.
9. I’d Rather Be High by David Bowie. Bowie is also back. I don’t know what happened between Scary Monsters and now but this album, and this song, is excellent.
10. Came Back Haunted by Nine Inch Nails. I’ve been a Trent Reznor fan forever, but hide it well. NIN is fantastic for Monday morning commuting.
What do you think?